Thursday 8 September 2016

Playgrounds Baby Quilt

A baby in the family is always an excuse for a quick and easy quilts and this is from the book of the same title, Quick & Easy Quilts by Lynne Goldsworthy.  In the book, it's called Cowboy lap quilt but I've called it  Playgrounds and it's been given to a baby girl, the first grandchild of my late father's partner.
It's large pieces are perfect for showcasing a picture print and come together quickly so it was quick to layout, plan a little colour placement and piece together.  I used my flippity method to sew the drunkard's path blocks together to get the absolutely square at the beginning and end of blocks.  The templates are full size in the book and I traced them onto freezer paper and ironed them onto the fabrics.


I'm not a fancy quilter so I quilted echo lines to define the four quadrants and spiral quilted each circle.  I drew some petals on freezer paper for the centre and drew round them in chalk before straight stitching along the lines.  All the resources are listed at the end of this post. 


It was quilted on a very hot couple of days so instead of gloves I used this Clover Non Slip Finger stick which you rub on to your finger tips.  The ingredients aren't specified but it feels like silicon and helps you maintain a light grip on the fabric.  It doesn't stain the fabric and is handy when your hands are hot.


Usual baby quilt size at 38" square.  Labelled and delivered to a much wanted baby.

Resources
  1. Quick & Easy Quilts by Lynne Goldsworthy, Cowboy Lap quilt pattern.
  2. Sewing Drunkard Path blocks video
  3. Starting off spiral quilting template
  4. Fabrics are from my stash and most are out of print: a mix of Hello Petal prints by Aneela Hoey for Moda, some Cotton + Steel, Riley Blake Blue dots and a mint print. Sarah Fielke and Moda Ambleside gird.  Binding Denyse Schmidt, Flea Market Fancy.

SaveSave
SaveSave

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! Darling quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this game pattern earlier in the year to make a quilt using a layer cake by French General. I find this size much easier to do the piecing on than smaller drunkard's path blocks. I love the baby fabric used, so sweet. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love that Aneela Hoey range. I used some to make cushions for my daughter's room and have another piece to make into something. I love the use of it on the circles, as it perfectly echoes the sense of movement of the girls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.